There's no better backdrop for a race than the streets, riverfront, and historic buildings in Downtown Memphis! See the upcoming races throughout the year and register now!
Where: Downtown Memphis & Riverfront
When: Sunday May 28, 2017 @ 8 am
Details: The Great American River Run anchors Memphis in May's month-long civic celebration and takes place Downtown during Memorial Day Weekend. This race is designed to accomidate all ages and skill levels, and features a 5K and a Half Marathon. The race course will take runners along the banks of the mighty Mississippi River and through downtown Memphis, with live entertainment along the run route and culminating with post-race music, food, and beverages on the river bluff.
- All runners will receive a medal
- The post-race party includes live music, beer, food from Muddy's Bake Shop, Gus' Fried Chicken, Central BBQ and more!
- The half-marathon is scheduled to begin at 7 am CST, while the 5K will take off at 7:30 am CST.
- Maps for both races can be viewed here.
- View this year's soft-style race shirt here.
- Click here to register!
Where: Harbor Town
When: June 2, 2017 @ 7 pm
Details: The Harbortown 5K is one of the largest growing races in Memphis and part of the Mtown Race Series. The course takes the runners through a beautiful route ending in the new neighborhoods of Harbor Town itself. There will also be a Fun Run for children 12 and under starting just before the 5K. At the race's end there willl be a block party in Harbor Town with free food, drinks, and live music for all to enjoy!
- 5K Pre-Registration through June 2 - $30, Race Day - $35
- Nike 1-mile Fun Run (Under 12) - $10
- Click here to register!
Where: Gibson Guitar Factory & Beale Street
When: June 10, 2017 @ 7 pm
Details: The Annual Gibson Guitar 5K will take place, once again, in Downtown! Shirts for everyone registered by June 1, 2017 or the first 1,800 to sign up*. Race is for the benefit of Saint Patrick Community Outreach, Inc. Registration is $25 through June 9, and $30 on Race Day.
- The race will be chip-timed, so you can rest assured for accuracy in your time.
- The Vintage People will rock the Gibson Plaza as headliners of our post-race party. All registered participants will enjoy the music and food by Camy's Sandwiches & Pizzas, Pepsi products, Clear Mountain Natural Spring Water, Coors Light, and food by Kroger. There is a $10 cover for people wanting to party, but did not race.
- Two, Memphis-made Gibson Guitars will be auctioned off after the Vintage People's performance on Saturday night. One is a Gibson ES 335; the other is a Gibson ES 339.They can be seen live and in person at Breakaway Midtown location on Friday, June 10 (10am to 6pm). Minimum bid: $1,000 per guitar.
- *After 1,800 participants, we will put your name on a list to receive a shirt after the event.
Click here to register.
Where: Central Station Pavilion
When: June 16, 2017 @ 6:30 pm
Details: Trade in your overalls and boots for shorts and a sneakers for the annual Crop Hop 5k benefiting the premier Farmers Market in Memphis! Walk or run throughout the South Main Historic Arts District and party afterwards with live music, beer and delicious food.
Registration is $25 and participants will receive a t-shirt and admission to the party. Buy the shirt alone for $15. Only the first 200 runners are guaranteed a shirt, so register now!
Click here to register and view the course map.
When: August 20, 2017 @ 9 am
Where: Bardog Tavern (73 Monroe Ave, Memphis, TN 38103)
Details: Join Breakaway Running and Bardog Tavern for the 7th Annual Breakaway/Bardog Tavern 5k benefiting St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Run with the pack through historic downtown Memphis. Afterward, stick around for the post race party which will feature live bands, a dunk tank, free food, raffle with TONS of prizes, meatball eating contest, and much much more!
Register at Breakaway Running, Bardog Tavern or online (until 8/27) for $35 or same day for $40.
When: September 23, 2017
Where: St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Campus Memphis, TN 38105
Details: Start a team with your family and friends to join. Or join an existing team. Fundraise to support the kids of St. Jude. Walk: age 6 and up – $10, 5K Run: age 6 and up – $20, Age 5 and under – participation is free. Raise $100 and earn your official event T-shirt. Raise $250 to become a member of our Fearless Fundraiser Club, and earn additional St. Jude gear as you fundraise.
Click Here to Volunteer
When: September 30, 2017 @ 8 am
Where: AutoZone Park
Details: The Sickle Cell 5K Run Walk was developed to create a greater awareness in the Memphis community of Sickle Cell Disease and to raise money for patient care, social services, and research. In 2013 the event changed the name to the Mark Walden Memorial Sickle Cell 5K in memory of Chief Meteorologist Mark Walden of ABC24. Mark was the celebrity MC for the event in 2011-2012. Mark lived with sickle cell and was a huge supporter of the Sickle Cell Foundation of Tennessee.
- All proceeds from the event will directly benefit individuals living with Sickle Cell. The ultimate goal is to improve the quality of life for individuals living with this debilitating disease.
- Registration is $25 for the 5k and $15 for the 1 Mile Walk.
- After the race, have fun at the Post-Race Party in AutoZone Park's plaza
- Click here to register
Where: 362 Main Street Memphis, TN US 38103
When: October 7, 2017 @ 8 am
Details: Participate in a 5k or 10k to raise proceeds to benefit families who struggle from job absence or job loss due to caring for their child who's fighting cancer. Race options include individual runners or a group/team.
- Registration is $27.50 and increases $5 after 8/31
- Not able to participate in the race? Sign up as a virtual runner and receive your runners medal in the mail.
When: October 28, 2017 (Race starts at 9:00, Expo opens at 9:30, Survivor Brunch at 10:45)
Where: AutoZone Park (200 Union Ave, Memphis, TN 38103)
Details: Run through the heart of Downtown Memphis and help fight the battle against breast cancer. The Memphis-MidSouth Race for the Cure is the only Race/Walk in our community that gives grants to local hospitals and health care providers for mammograms and diagnostics. The race returns for it's 3rd year in Downtown, and will start at AutoZone Park, the home of our Memphis Redbirds!
"We are proud that since 1993 we have granted almost $10 million locally. No one does what we do to fight breast cancer here at home. The event raises significant funds and awareness for the breast cancer movement, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. However, the Race for the Cure is not WHAT we do but HOW we do it. We raise funds so that we can give local health care grants so that women in our community are never denied breast health care."
Where: The start and finish lines are two blocks apart, located near a dozen downtown hotels, plenty of restaurants and historic Beale Street.
Details: Runners get their chance to run through the home of the blues and American roots music of every stripe in the St. Jude Memphis Marathon & Half Marathon, which tests the hardiness and dedication of more than 2,000 full marathoners and 5,000 half marathoners each December. From the starting line at the corner of 4th and Beale Streets, in the heart of the city’s biggest tourist draw, both the half marathon and the full marathon head out on what is roughly a clockwise loop route through Memphis, taking runners past many of the city’s most famous sights, including Beale Street, Sun Studio, the National Civil Rights Museum, the Gibson Guitar Factory and more. Those running the half and the full share the same course for nearly all of the first 13 miles of the race; the full marathoners will split off from the half marathoners just before the latter group turns to head toward AutoZone Park for their finish. Mostly flat and fast (it’s run through the Memphis city streets), the race also provides ample views of the waterfront by the Mississippi River, and finishes at majestic AutoZone Park, home of the AAA-level Memphis Redbirds minor league baseball team.
- Last year over 20,000 people participated in St. Jude Marathon Weekend, the 37th running of the event
- An estimated $8 million was raised last year
- The Race benefits St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- 5k - $30, 10k - $45, Half Marathon - $100, Marathon - $120
- General registration begins June 1st
Click here to register
*Photo courtesy of The Commercial Appeal - Brad Vest
Want to stay in the loop of all things happening in Downtown Memphis?
Our weekly Downtown Memphis newsletter is the source on what to do each week in Downtown. This free publication is emailed every Thursday morning.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter!
For a more comprehensive view of events taking place in Downtown, visit our Events page.
Did we miss an event? Click here to submit your event to our calendar!