Court Square provides the perfect place to sit in peace amid the hustle of Downtown Memphis. The quiet oasis is surrounded by office buildings and busy streets and offers a shady area with fountains, statues, and a gazebo, and places to relax and enjoy the restored antique trolleys going by on Main Street. The square is located between Main and Second Streets at Court Avenue. Of all the 4 original municipal parks laid out by the city planners in 1819, Court Square is the only one left in its original form. Ironically the land was set aside to build a court house, but no courthouse was ever built on Court Square. It was however, the site of Memphis' first schoolhouse. The land for Court Square was donated by John McLemore, one of the founders of Memphis.
Serving, selling, or consuming alcoholic beverages in the park is prohibited without a beer permit approved by the Shelby County Beer Board and/or a permit from the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission.
Events with attendance of 25 or more require an event permit from the City of Memphis Permit Office in addition to the event permit from the Downtown Memphis Commission.