For decades, people have come to pay their respects to Mollie Woodruff, our most beloved spirit residing at the Woodruff-Fontaine mansion. Mollie's gentle spirit plays hostess to the many visitors that come through our museum doors every day. Throughout the years, Mollie has observed daily tours, witnessed countless weddings, and watched over the daily to-dos of her previous home. Buried in 1917, at Elmwood Cemetery, Mollie's grave was never marked with a headstone. After 102 years, we will hold a Memorial and Headstone dedication service for Mollie, at Elmwood Cemetery. Join us Sunday, May 19, 2pm-4pm at the Elmwood Cemetery Chapel as we celebrate the life of Mollie Woodruff! A light repast will follow at the family home - 680 Adams Avenue This event will continue rain or shine. Black mourning attire and Period mourning attire is encouraged. This event is FREE and open to all!
Rising from ancient magnolia trees, the Woodruff-Fontaine House stands as a reminder of an era long gone. This beautiful French Victorian mansion was built in 1870 along “Millionaires Row.” The mansion, home to two prominent Memphis families, was deeded to the city in 1936 and stood vacant for several years. The Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities rescued the house in 1962 and restored it to its former splendor. The Memphis Chapter of the Association of the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities was chartered in 1952. It wasn't until 1962, that the Chapter stepped in to rescue two mansions on Adams Avenue under the threat of urban redevelopment demolition. The Harsson-Goyer-Lee House and the Woodruff-Fontaine House were saved and restoration began inside the Woodruff-Fontaine House first. In 1964, the Mansion opened its doors for architectural tours. Slowly, each of the three floors and 16 rooms were furnished and accessorized with artifacts and heirlooms from gracious Memphis and Mid-South families. The collections have continued to grow strong and steady for over 50 years and still dazzle the citizens of Memphis and our guests from around the world. Today, we continue to thrive by venue rentals, tours, and special events. We keep our mission alive by continued preservation efforts and education through special interest group tours and consistent rotation of collections and exhibits.
Excellent 1870 French-Victorian, 16-room home designed by premier architect Edward C. Jones and his partner Mathias Baldwin. Jones is known as of Memphis’ most significant 19th century architects. Fully furnished with 18th and 19th century fine furniture and accessories, the museum displays beautiful textiles and authentic clothing of the period. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Gift shop on premises. Handicap accessible on first floor.
Adult $12, Children $8, Seniors $10.
Purchase admissions tickets in advance here.