Main Street Trolley Line Returns April 30, 2018
The Memphis Area Transit Authority (MATA) announced today the Main Street Trolley Line will be back in service for custoers on Monday, April 30 operating from the William Hudson Transit Center (Main and AW Willis) to the Butler Station (Main and Butler).
MATA recieved approval last Friday from the Federal Transit Administration and the Tennessee Dept. of Transportation that revenue service can begin in two weeks. The follow is the tentative operating schedule:
- Initially, the rail line will operate with the following three trolley cars: 234, 453, 540.
- From Sunday through Thursday, the Main St. Trolley line will operate with two trolley cars and run every 30 minutes.
- On Friday and Saturdays, the Main St. Trolley line will operate with three cars and run every 20 minutes.
- Hours of operation: Mon-Fri: 6:45am-Midnight, Sat: 8am-Midnight, Sun: 10am-6pm
- Customers can ride for FREE on the Main Street Trolley line rail cars until May 14, 2018.
The tentative operating scheudle will continue until the refurbishments on 455, 539, and 799 are completed next month. After the repairs are finished, additional rail testing will be conducted to ensure those Trolley cars have met estabilshed and required safety standards.
Gary Rosenfeld, CEO of MATA, says today's announcement is a major accomplishment for the public transit authority and the City of Memphis.
"Almost four years ago the rail trolleys stopped running and now, we are proud to announce that the Main Street Trolley Line will be back in service serving the Memphis community and visitors in just two weeks. We are proud that we have diligently and meticulously restored the troley cars to be the safest in the nation," Rosenfeld added.
Welcome Back the Main Street Trolleys Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony
Monday, April 30 @ 11 am @ 547 N. Main Street
Come cheer on the Trolleys as they make their return to Downtown! A ribbon-cutting ceremony will take place from 11 - 11:30 am, then the Main Street rail line will be open for public rides FREE for two weeks!