RiverArtsFest 2018: Artists Market, Music and Entertainment Line-up for October 27 & 28
Back for a 12th year, RiverArtsFest 2018 will open Saturday, October 27 and run through Sunday, October 28.
For the first time, the festival will be held on Riverside Drive between Jefferson and Beale Street. But as in years’ past, the festival will feature juried fine art for sale, live music, food and beverages, art demonstrations, and hands-on art activities.
This year’s festival is partnering with the Mighty Lights organization for an evening party down on the Mississippi River, as Mighty Lights launches its illumination of the Hernando De Soto bridge to music on the Saturday evening of RiverArtsFest. The festival will offer free entry after 5pm, providing the ideal venue to shop unique art, groove to local favorites, G3 under the direction of Gary Goin, and celebrate the biggest light show on the Mississippi.
In addition to Mighty Lights and G3, REG Entertainment has planned a variety of musical acts both days that includes the Delta Cats (blues), River Bluff Clan (bluegrass), Exodus Reggae Band, Lucky 7 Brass Band (funk/jazz), Beth Luscombe Strings (classical), John Mohead (Americana), Tennessee Mass Choir (gospel), and the Soul Shockers (soul).
The largest fine arts festival in the Mid-South, approximately 25,000 people attended last year’s event held in late October 2017. With construction and road closures underway in the South Main Arts District, home to the festival its inception, the festival worked with the Downtown Memphis Commission and Memphis River Parks to relocate to Riverside Drive this year.
Festival dates, hours and admission:
- Saturday, October 27, 10 AM to 5 PM, $5 per person, free after 5 PM until 9 PM for Mighty Lights celebration
- Sunday, October 28, 10 AM to 5 PM, $5 per person
- Children 10 and under are free.
- Race for the Cure participants receive free entry with race bib.
- Festival patrons will be stamped to allow for come/go access
Location: Riverside drive, Jefferson Avenue to Beale Street, multiple entrances, and ample parking within walking distance.
- Artists Market with more than 180 juried fine artists from across the country. Market features original works in painting, photography, ceramics, glass, wood, drawing, decorative and wearable fiber and leather, digital art, graphics and printmaking, 2D & 3D mixed media, jewelry, metalworks and sculpture.
- 2018 Festival Poster by artist Maysey Craddock, available for sale at the Art Center in Midtown, 1910 Frame Works and Gallery, Frame Corner, Inc., as well as at the festival’s three merchandise booths.
- RiverArtsFest Invitational Art Exhibit at ANFA, 1500 Union Avenue. Exhibit opens October 12 through November 8; gallery hours 8 am to 5 pm. Works by Maysey Craddock (2018 Poster Artist), Martiza Davila, Catherine Erb, George Hunt, Adam Hawk, and Carl Scott
- “Art Bars” will be stationed strategically throughout the festival, offering a full bar, with specialty cocktails by Old Dominick.
- Hands on Art, sponsored by the Art Center, features an interactive station for artists of all ages to express their creative energies.
- Artist in Motion stations featuring demonstrations on papermaking, wheel pottery, watercolor painting, woodturning, fused glass, metal sculpture and more.
- Excellent food and beverage vendors, including beer and wine for sale