VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES - Volunteer Memphis
Social distancing has made volunteering difficult, but not impossible! Volunteer Memphis is working to create new ways to engage volunteers during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Please note that Volunteer Memphis and Leadership Memphis are dedicated to providing our networks with resources and opportunities for people to give back to the community, or utilize for self-care. BUT, we need your help! If you know of any volunteer opportunities or resources for the Mid-South community, please send those to Andrea Hill, Director of Volunteer Memphis, at ahill [at] leadershipmemphis [dot] org.
A list of volunteer opportunities to strongly consider can be found here.
COVID-19 Skilled Volunteer Pool
The Memphis Office of Emergency Management (OEM) has joined with Volunteer Memphis and community partners to create a roster of skilled volunteers that could be called upon to help serve and support the community in response to COVID-19.
Those who are willing to be contacted by the OEM, should the need arise, can register and share the Skilled Volunteer Pool using this direct link: bit.ly/OEMVolunteerPool
There is a potential great need for individuals and groups that are qualified for the “skill-based” volunteer categories below. Bring your skills to help serve your community!
- Medical and Healthcare Professionals
- Doctors, Nurses, APN, PA, Respiratory Therapists
- Emerging Healthcare Professionals
- 3rd & 4th Year Medical and Nursing Students
- Non-clinical Healthcare Worker
- Social Workers, Therapists, Language Translators, Physical Therapists, Nutrition Experts
- IT Professional, Data Scientist, GIS Specialist
- Administrative Professional
- Customer Service, Call Support, Clerical
- Trade Professional
- Carpenters, Electricians, Plumbers, and more
- Logistics Support
- Planning, Organizing, Implementing
- Truck Drivers, Forklift Operators
If you fall into one, or more, of these categories, please go to the Skilled Volunteer Pool and register. Public service and public health take a variety of skills, and this is a chance for you to support your community in a time of need. Share your talents for both in-person and remote support opportunities.
There is no guarantee that you will be contacted to serve. If selected, coordinators will contact volunteers with postings of volunteer opportunities. Volunteers would then sign up to be assigned a location and site supervisor to report to for service.
COVID-19 Volunteer Service Request Submission
The Memphis Office of Emergency Management (OEM) has asked Volunteer Memphis to help identify organizations that need volunteer assistance to help those most impacted by COVID-19.
Organizations seeking help should register their projects in our Service Request Form here: bit.ly/VMServiceOpp
The OEM and Volunteer Memphis are committed to connecting volunteers to service opportunities to help organizations that need assistance.
Organizations will submit their projects and the Volunteer Memphis and Innovate Memphis staff will work to match “as needed” COVID-19 projects with our Skilled Volunteers. Organizations would then contact volunteers with the details of their service project including time, location and site supervisor.
Catholic Charities | Mobile Food Pantry In person opportunity
We are working outside under a tent serving boxes of food in a mobile food distribution the parking lot. There is ample social distancing and gloves are provided.
YMCA of Memphis & the Mid-South | Meal Distributions In person opportunity
We need volunteers to help us direct traffic and distribute this food to our neighbors in need. There are numerous sites throughout the Memphis area.
Green Dot Public Schools | Feed Our Families In person opportunity
We need volunteers to sort & package food the day it is delivered from the Mid-South Food Bank and to distribute food the following day to families.
Hospitality Hub | Make Bagged Lunches Remote/drop off opportunity
We're asking volunteers to make sack lunches and drop them off. For details about what to includes in the lunches and where to donate them.
Please use careful consideration when choosing to sign up for an in-person volunteer opportunity. Please do not volunteer in person if you are in the high-risk category as defined by the CDC, are sick, have been exposed to someone who is sick, or if you decide it's not the right fit for you at this time.
Remote volunteering makes a huge impact. Here are some ways you can volunteer from home:
- Send a Message of Hope | Make-A-Wish kids represent some of the most vulnerable of our population. Every child deserves a childhood, but right now, more wishes are waiting than ever before. While they wait for their wish to come true, help us do all we can to encourage them by sharing a message of hope. Click here for more details.
- Make Masks for Seniors | Meals on Wheels needs masks so they can help protect our high-risk seniors. Click here for more details.
- Make Masks for Veterans | Alpha Omega Veteran Services is asking volunteers to make masks for their high-risk residents and staff safe. Click here for more details.
- Foster a dog or cat | The Humane Society of Memphis & Shelby County needs volunteers to foster a dog or cat during this time. All supplies provided. Email Ashley Amoore [at] memphishumane [dot] org